Researchers without a Hosting Agreement might be eligible to apply for a work visa as guest researcher depending on their invitation.
Upon submission of all the required documents, the application process will be continued and the application form and the supporting documents will be forwarded to the appropriate Aliens Authority (Ausländerbehörde) at the applicant’s intended place of residence during his/her stay in Germany. The processing usually takes approximately two weeks but may take longer in some cases. As soon as the application has been approved, the Embassy / the Consulate will issue a national visa for the first 3 - 6 months of the intended stay. A final residence permit for the whole duration of stay will be issued upon arrival in Germany by the Aliens Authority.
A visa in order to live in Germany is a “national visa” and does also entitle you to enter the other Schengen countries for the duration for up to 90 days for tourist purposes.
Please prepare two identical application sets with all of the following documents in the given order.
Incomplete documentation may result in the rejection of your application.
- Empolyment in Germany"
- Valid passport (issued within the last ten years and valid for at least six months after arriving in Germany with at least two empty pages)
- Application form fully completed including declaration Section 54 (2) 8, duly signed
- Two passport photographs, not older than three months with a bright background and frontal view of the face
- Copy of your passport’s data page
- Copy of your Japanese residence card – if applicable
- Curriculum vitae of professional career, including certificates, diplomas, etc.
- Hosting Agreement/Contract from a German university or public research institute (more details under #1)
- University degree, original and copy, AND if applicable: official translation into German or English
- Visa fee (75 EUR, payable by cash or credit card in Japanese Yen according to the official exchange rate on the date of application)
AFTER YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED
- Flight reservation/itinerary (including your name) to Germany
- Proof of health insurance
#1 Hosting Agreement / Contract
(According to Section 20 of the German Residence Act)
- Complete legal name and address of the research organization
- Details of the researcher’s activity
- Details of the subsequent legal relationship (weekly working hours / payment / duration of the research
- The researcher is obliged to implement research work
- The research organization is hereby obliged to admit the researcher for the purposes of Research.
Please note: In individual cases, you may be required to provide additional documents.
Please note that the German Embassy Tokyo / Consulate General Osaka-Kobe reserves the right to ask for additional documents at any time during processing. Submission of the above mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted.
This page has been prepared with utmost care. It is intended to provide a point of reference to our clients but may not be fully applicable to every individual case. If you have further, more specific questions which are not answered by the information contained here nor on our website, please contact the German Embassy / the Consulate General serving your prefecture. The German missions in Japan cannot accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained in this page.